Thursday, April 10, 2008

Green Tea and Rain drops = very funny afternoon

Hey Hey Hey,


Yesterday I got the day off because of an election here in Korea. It was so nice to have a break mid-week. I took for granted all the random days I use to take off, we are lucky to have 'mental health' days at home. My favourite excuse was from Courtney Miller 'Just tell them your not feeling well', and at 7:30 in the morning after only a few hours of sleep I technically wasn't feeling well, so technically I wasn't lying. :) :)

In Korea sick days are unheard of. Every time I think of calling in sick I picture my Director showing up on my door step to take me to the hospital. Many Koreans believe that if you are sick you go to the hospital or get medecine on the asap. Therefore, I haven't attempted a sick day. So, in saying all that I was super appreciative of a Wednesday off.

I decided joined some friends for a trip to a Green Tea plantation outside of our city. It was kinda of a crummy day as it was raining, but being the optimist that we were we kept hoping that it would clear up. Plus, my friend Lindsay insisted that our pictures would look great with the overcast sky. Well, the weather only got worst but the laughter grew strong despite our soggy feet. Once we got there we decided that we should eat first with hopes that the rain and now crazy wind would die down. We ate some green tea Bibimpab (a rice and veggie mixture with fresh green tea leaves) and tonnes of yummy side dishes.
The rain didn't stop nor did it slow down. It was however well worth the trip as the fields were amazing. Rows and rows of green tea on the sides of small mountains. Very cool to see! We took all the pictures we could despite the sideways rain coming in on us and then got the hell out of dodge (or at least tried to).

As we were leaving my friend Lindsay was again insistent on one more thing -we were not leaving the plantation without green tea ice cream. Whit (Lindsay's husband) was having nothing to do with cold ice cream as it was not ice cream weather). So we picked up some ice cream and headed for the bus stop. Well, the bus stop was only on the one side of the road that we were dropped off on. Hmm, we all thought, we saw a young Korean couple standing there and asked if they knew where we should stand to go back to the town we needed to get to take our bus home. They directed us across the road. There we were ice cream in one hand and umbrellas in the other looking like wet dogs. So we waited and waited and the wind did not let up! To the point where it had flipped my umbrella the wrong way, and then Sarah's as well. Lindsay or Whit then made a comment about how great their umbrella was as Sarah and I had to stand in strategic positions as to keep our umbrellas the right way.


Cars, trucks and tour buses were flying by us, the couple across the road were laughing at us and then it happened, the funniest moment of them all. Whit's umbrella had taken one to many gusts of wind and blew to pieces! It looked like a wacked antenna ! We all died laughing, to the point where I almost peed my pants! Way too funny!!



At this point we started to wave down cars to find out if a bus was actually coming. We managed to find out that we had to walk up the road. We all dispersed trying to find out where the bus stop really was. Then I heard Lindsay yell, lets go we've got a ride. I looked down the hill to where she was only to see the Korean version of a clown car. Two girls stopped to see if she needed help and they offered her a ride, so she told them that we were 4 and they agreed to take us :) :) Into the back of this small car we go, these girls didn't speak very much English, but enough to have some small talk. We got home safe and sound and the the rest is history :) :)

2 comments:

Whit said...

Fun fun times, Ang! I swear I haven't laughed that hard in ages.
Love your blog! -- Lindsay

Unknown said...

That's hilarious! All the busted up umbrellas, and soaked folks.

The green tea fields and mountains looks spectacular in your photos - must have been even more so in person!

Mount Mudang Defeated!

Mount Mudang Defeated!