Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Chaotic Field Trip!

Annyong Haseo, Bonjour, Hello,

Hey friends, sorry I haven't blogged in a while! I'm back in action though :) So, life here in Gwangju has been going fairly smooth lately. I've been keeping busy and school hasn't been as brutal as it has been. I think I've finally gotten a few of my horrible classes under control. Of course I still have about 3 classes that pure CHAOS tends to break out. However, I'm learning how to gain control a lot more quickly. At first I thought it was all about candy and stickers (and a large portion of the time it is) but now I've realized that it's all about my energy level. If I'm super excited and jumping around, making funny noises and my favourite sticking my bum out for the hokey poky, I can keep the attention of most small children. I know this seems pretty obvious but it took me awhile to get into the groove of it...so in saying that some days it's all about coffee, coffee, coffee!

I had one of the strangest experiences with my school last week. We brought our kindergartens to the Hampyeong Butterfly Festival. If I was asked to explain it in one sentence it would have to be this 'I felt like I was in a mosh pit of 4-16 year olds'. I wish I could tell you many other schools were there, it was completely insane! The kids were corralled through this amazingly beautiful display of flowers and bugs like cows. I must have said 'Bali Bali' about a thousand times (it means quickly, quickly in Korean). We got on the bus at 8:40am to head to the festival, we turned around at 8:50 because they had forgotten the kids name tags. It was about an hour drive outside of Gwangju. Once we got there we pushed our way to get through the gates. Then we pushed our way through about 6-7 green houses/buildings and had a snack/lunch break. After that we went to our last building which was the 'bat building' I didn't see any bats though. After our last building we hurried back towards the parking lot where we stopped to take photos (every child had to have their picture taken at least 2-3 times). Then we rushed off to find the bus in the sea of buses only to get half way there to realize that we were missing two kids. One of the kids was actually the daughter of my co-worker! One of my bosses ran back to find the two kids who were stuck in the bat museum. They must have gotten lost when we pushed our way out of the building, literally! To be honest I'm surprised we didn't lose more. So we got back on the bus around 1:30 completely exhausted. My head was spinning and couldn't help but think 'did these kids see or get anything out of this ridiculousness!'.

In other news my friend Catie is leaving as she is done her contract. I'm sad to see her leave because I was just getting to know her and she is wicked. The only good thing about her leaving is that I bought her bike! It's wicked! I'll post some pictures soon. It's cherry red and it has a basket!

Alrighty, well I'm going to sign off now. I'm heading to Seoul this weekend for a "World DJ festival" and Buddha's Birthday celebration! Can't wait! I have Monday off as well.

Peace and love from the wacky world of Gwangju, South Korea

1 comment:

Jason Choi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Mount Mudang Defeated!

Mount Mudang Defeated!