Thursday, January 15, 2009

My Farewell Party in Gwangju :(

I wrote this post way back in November and never finished it. So, now I'm back and have some time so here it is:

My farewell party in Gwangju was absolutely perfect! I got to do everything that I would have wanted to do before leaving. Hike, play, sing, dance and spend time with awesome people!

The day started with a hike on Muduang Mountain. This mountain is beautiful anytime of the year but on that Saturday is was stunning. Most of the leaves had turned or already fallen off but there was still tonnes of colour contrasts with the dead grass and the green pines. A small group of some of my best friends and I went on the hike. We had such a great time climbing trees, rolling in the long grass and taking wicked funny pics! Not to forget about one of the best parts which was getting a ride on my friend Whit's motorcycle!

For dinner I met up with a big group of my friends and went for my favourite food (shabu shabu, which is actually Japanese). The soju train decided to pick us all up at shabu shabu. My friends Jess and Pk (from England) came down from Seoul for the night. They are this absolutely amazing couple who I'm going to miss to pieces.
In my head I had decided that all I wanted to do was go to a Noraebang (singing room) after dinner. A few peops were resistant to the idea as they were barely hanging on to the soju train and hadn't fully jumped on yet. However, I along with a few others were riding with the conductor all the way!!! CHOOO CHOOOO!!! So, we convinced everyone that the soju train was the best idea. We headed off to this huge Noreabang. The room we ended up getting was wicked! It was like a VIP room with huge long tables. From there things got pretty messy. I went out to buy some more beer and soju but then had forgotten something in the room so went back to Whit having everyone practice the song 'Angie' by the Rolling Stones. At that moment I was hit by such a feeling of dejavu it was wild. At my going away party in Ottawa before I left my amazing friends there also sang me that song and so it was so heart warming to hear all my Korean friends singing it.

It's hard to describe how fun the night was but if I could some it up with a few key points it would be the following:

1-Prya dancing on the table and then jumping off to about 4 glasses smashing, but she didn't notice and kept on going wherever her mission was at that moment.

2- Whit's insistence on playing Angie for the third time (I love you Whit!)

3- Lindsey whispering in my ear 'let's dance on the table to Dancing Queen' to then have about 6 other girls join us and or dancing queen routine turning into the Kan Kan.

4- Sarah's I'm going down down.

5- Chris and I doing Oasis as a reminder of our first noraebang experience together way back in January.

5- Me telling everyone that we need to get the hell out of dodge as we were in the entrance of the norabang because the staff went into the room. The room looked like a bunch of rockstars had just gone through it.

6- Everyone's' drunken smiles of love at the end of the night as we stumbled to find our ways home.

I'm so thankful to have met so many great people in Korea. Upon my first couple weeks in Korea I feared that I would not meet any like minded people. I thought that I would do my year and leave no strings attached. I was wrong, I've made bonds with people that I will cherish forever. Also, the best part about making these bonds is that I will see these people again and it will be in a different part of the world :) :)

No comments:

Mount Mudang Defeated!

Mount Mudang Defeated!