Thursday, March 5, 2009

New Zealand...a.k.a the land of many cool sayings! (Choice bro, No drama, You aright, F.....unnnnnnreal!, I reckon we sell the car?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!)

After much consideration and so many mind changes I decided to join up with two of my bestest friends Courtney and Mahal in New Zealand. I can tell you that I've made an excellent choice!!! It was so great to see Court and Mahalia waiting for me on the other side of those airport doors. I don't think that small airport in Christchurch had ever heard such loud screams before. It was pretty surreal to be standing there and realizing that the three of us were together in New Zealand...sweet!
They picked me up in our very own 1998 Mitsubishi and we headed straight to a music festival. The festival was near a small town called Twizel and it was all New Zealand bands. SOOOO FANTASTIC! There was tonnes of music but for the most part was reggae, dub and hip hop. One of the big things I missed when I was in Korea was live music, so this was an excellent way to start off my first week out of SoKo.

We volunteered at the festival and all we had to do was take tickets and hand out sun screen. It was such a sweet deal! I got a chance to meet all Court and Mahal friends that they had made the month before picking cherries. I had no idea that their were so many people from around the world travelling and working in NZ. Leave it to Court and Mahal to find some sweet people to hang around with! I love them!!!

After the festival a bunch of us headed to a small little lake to chill out and relax for a few days. Week two of my NZ adventures brought me to the adventure capital of the world, Queenstown. This is where they have all the bungy jumping, para-sailing, kite surfing, base jumping, white water rafting and many many more adrenaline seeking sports. We stayed with one of Mahal's friends from Whistler. It was so great we had a hot tub and a pool along with a bunch of super cool peops. We watched a sweet bike jam with tonnes of boys doing some crazy ass flips and stunts on their bikes.

Day three of Queenstown was the day that I dared to go over the edge!!! Yup, I jumped off a cliff!!!! I did what they call a canyon swing and let me tell you it was absolutely mind blowing. You basically go to the edge of a canyon (on a platform ) and then get harnessed in and then jump any way you want down into a canyon. (http://www.canyonswing.co.nz/index.php) Court went first and did what they call a pin drop which means she stepped off sideways. After Court I took the plunge. I chose sitting in a plastic patio chair as my way off plummeting into the great unknown. So, there I was sitting in a chair as one of the guys working there harnessed me and started to tip me over the edge. At first they were just toying with me and pretending to drop me and then bringing me back up. It was so freaking scary!!! Once they were done toying with my emotions they told me that I had to push myself off the edge. Picture this- me, sitting in a chair with my back to the canyon having to push the chair and me over the edge. It took me awhile of hemming and humming and then I counted to three in my head and push!!!!! Over the edge I went and I dropped like a freaking brick!!! I did two backwards flip before just dropping straight and then swinging way over the canyon! It was absolutely mind blowing! Then they pull you back up and you get to sit tight and enjoy the view. It's similar to bungy jumping except the harness is around waist instead of your feet.Mahalia went next and she decided she wanted to jump straight off the edge. It took her some time and then she did it! So great to watch! Court and I decided that because it was cheap to do a second jump we should just go for it. So, this time we did what they call the 'Bin Laden'. What that means is you go head first with your feet over your head. Yup, they harness you in, hang you over the edge and tell you to put your legs up around the rope and then to swing your arms back into the super man position!!! There I was staring straight down at the canyon!!! Let's just say it was exhilarating and I suggest it to anyone who likes a thrill!!

After Queenstown we did a tour up across the south island and then up the west coast. It was absolutely beautiful and then I knew why they film so many spectacular movies in this country. The mountains looked like fern gully and the forests like The Lord of the Rings. No joke, it was absolutely stunning!!! We didn't stick around the west coast to much as there were tonnes of sand flies and it was raining. We booked it to a small town called Motoueka to find some apple picking jobs. That is where I am now.

We couldn't find jobs at the beginning so we went and did some WOOFING. That means to work on an organic farm. It was a great experience. The farm we went to was called 'Go Lightly' and it an older couples organic farm. It was full of cows, chucks (chickens), sheep, walnuts and tonnes of other fruits and veggies. We got to pick mushrooms, plants trees, pickle mushrooms, make sherbet and we ate A LOT! They milked their own cow and had eggs from the chucks so we had some yummy eats!We are outside of Motueka in Tasman at the moment. When we were at the farm we decided we need to go to the North island because we couldn't find jobs on the south island. So, we had a few things to do in Motoueka before heading out of town to the ferry. We took a Scottish guy (Martin, who is one of the funniest people I've ever met) he was also helping out at the farm to town with us. On the way everything changed...we were joking around that we were going to sell the car because we couldn't afford the gas for it and all the joys that come with having a car. To which Martin replied 'I'll buy your car, how much???'. So, last minute decision we sold the car. Now you see we had already booked our ferry tickets and we're scheduled to leave the island that night. Instead, we were going to get Martin to drive us to Nelson and then we would get to the ferry from there. BUT, on the way to the ferry we saw a sign that said 'Apple Pickers Needed'.....ahhhh, there is a money god!

I've just finished day three of apple picking and am slowly getting good at it...but woweee!!! It's not an easy buck to make, I can tell you that much!!!! We are all working very hard to get to the next destination. WOMAD!!!! Which is a festival of music and art.

I hope that everyone is doing fantastic. I'm not near a computer EVER these days so I'm sorry if I haven't written. I hope that you know that I'm thinking of you and that I send all my love to everyone. A special note to my sisters and their new beautiful babies. Love you guys sooo much and look forward to being in the same country again :) :) :)

Peace, love, smiles from the southern hemisphere :) :) :)


P.S. If you want to call me that would be great it's 001-64-21-113-7757 (i hope that works!!!)

1 comment:

Ethan and Maria said...

WoW Angie! Your adventure continues...and it sounds AMAZING!!! I was just reminiscing over your old blogs and pictures! I miss you!!!
Love, Maria

Mount Mudang Defeated!

Mount Mudang Defeated!