Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Pros and Cons of a Canadian Country Girl living in South Korea

Hey Hey Hey!

Hope everyone is well and living it up! I'm into the middle of my 2nd month here in Gwangju and life is all in all pretty good. I'm still unsure of many things but have managed to stay happy and positive while dodging the weirdness. Everyday I'm faced with things that I really like about this culture and things that leave me wondering 'why oh why would they do that?’ With that in mind I've put together some funny and not so funny differences from my life in Canada to my life in South Korea. This picture on the right is from the Liberty Bell in downtown Gwangju.


The Bad:

  • I have to put this one first as it is the most annoying to me- the consistent smell of car/truck fumes wafting down most streets

  • Some enjoy eating cute little doggies!!! When I first got here I noticed a dog living in a small cage around the corner from me. My first thought was 'I hope that is a pet'. But, with time I noticed that nobody really played with it and feared that it was going to get eaten. I tried not to get attached and only gave it treats from time to time. Upon my return from Lunar New Year he was gone! I was fairly devastated.

  • The packaging! For some reason they love to individualize everything they sell. For example, if you were to buy your standard soda crackers in the sleeve like form they would actually come in about 15 little packages.

  • When you go to a grocery store it’s as if you are going to Wal-Mart the day before Christmas except that it’s that busy every day. So I tend to stick to my small local chops.

The following can be good or bad depending on what kind of day you are having:

  • The inquisitive, curious, glares/glances you get most of the time when in public. A girl described it once to me and I think it is the best way to say it -‘Some days I feel like a queen and other days I feel like an animal at the zoo’.

The Goods:


  • Cheap healthy/unhealthy food! Kimpab is one of my faves. its Korean style sushi and you get a roll for a buck!

  • Heated floors everywhere as most people sit on the floor. My apartment has them as well so when I do yoga it's like my very own little hot room yoga.

  • The random people who cheer you on when you are running like you’re in a race! It gives you a real boost!

  • Cheap Cabs! You can get anywhere in the city for under 8 dollars but usually only about 5!

I'm drawing a blank now as I sit here and write so I'll stop there and as things come to me I'll post them on here.


Peace and love from Korea MUAHH

The picture below is of the cute Vegetarian restaurant in my neighborhood:

1 comment:

Unknown said...

what a wonderful insightful post!

*i am glad you are seeing both the good and the bad, probably helping you to stay really balanced.

*sorry for your loss of the corner store dog. but on the (i don't know if i can call it an up side), maybe if it did become food, it was a wonderful lunar feast for a family that really doesn't usually have much at all.

think of it as the xmas goose that bob crachet & tiny tim had. ... maybe?

about the stares you get... YOU ARE QUEEN!!! always have been,always will be... and you have a radient beauty that turns heads. Even if you do sometimes feel like a zoo animal, you know what they have at the zoo? majestic beautiful creatures that people pay to see... if i could see a tiger for free, i would drink it in as much as possible.

i heart you,
miss you,

hope to talk to you soon,
and thanks for keeping us all posted on your goings on!!!

Lil'One.XXX

Mount Mudang Defeated!

Mount Mudang Defeated!